Statues and Bell

drawing of church
STATUES

Vestibule

Woodcarvings in oak of St. Timothy and of St. Therese, the late 19th century saint of the "little way" (work of an unknown sculptor in Chicago). Statue of St. Jude (plaster).


Nave

In the Baptistry, Near the Side Entranceway:


church interior upper view

Woodcarvings by the Chicago sculptor.
SE corner - St. Anthony, NE corner - Sacred Heart ofJesus, NW comer - St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, SW comer - Child
Mary with her mother, St. Ann.
The fine baptismal fount was donated by Alan Bowslaugh, a parishioner. Notice also the choir stall.
At the Side Entranceway, Near the Baptistry:
Infant of Prague. Devotion to the Infant of Prague is based on a revelation about the Holy Child said to have been made by the Virgin to a Discalced Carmelite, Fr. Cyril of the Mother of God.


On the Side Altars:

statue of the Virgin Mary

Figures of the Virgin and St. Joseph. The hands of the Virgin appear to be positioned to hold a large rosary. Brides often leave their bouquets in her raised hand. The hands of Joseph perhaps once held a flowering staff, his symbol in reference to a pious legend.

Saint Timothy on exterior facade on southside 
Exterior of the Church

On the Facade

Top - St. Timothy, left side - probably St. Helena, right side (photo by Fr. M. Tang) - St. Joseph. On the pillars - the apostles. (Sculptor's name is Snowden,)



On the South Lawn

The bell, one of a set of chimes made by M. Michiels, Jr., of Tournai, Belgium, came from the Hearst collection. The bell is too heavy for the church tower, and a small campanile as been proposed for it by Bishop Ward. The verse on the bell is the concluding stanza of Tennyson's Ring Out Wild Bells and reads:

bell
Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand,
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be.

On the South Lawn in Front of the Rectory: Standing in the center of the circular planter is a statue of Father Junipero Serra, founder of the California mission system. It was commissioned by Mr. Hannon and presented to Bishop Ward


Return to Introduction Page. 

 

""
Saint Timothy Catholic Church
10425 W. Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064
Rectory: (310) 474-1216
Saint Timothy School
10479 W. Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064
School: (310) 474-1811

© St. Timothy. All Rights Reserved